If you Researched and Presented Information about an Author's Life.....
If you researched and presented information on an author's life, please reflect on the experience in the space below. What went well? What did not go so well? What would you do differently next time? (200 words minimum)
I did a presentation about JD Salinger. Actually, I thought it was pretty easy. The presentation part did not go as well as I had hoped, but finding all the information was very easy. I used Wikipedia, the New York Times obituary of JD Salinger, and another website I seem to have forgotten about. But they all told me the same things. Using those sites I learned a fair amount about JD Salinger, and the books he wrote. The presentation, however, did not go as well as I had hoped. I had lots of things that I had learned that I thought were interesting, but was actually probably useless trivia. Either way, I didn’t put it on the slides so I never got around to saying it. On top of that, I may or may not have been a bit nervous, so I spoke a little fast and mumbled. What can I say, I’m a nervous person. Probably the easiest part was the act of putting the information into a presentation. Except I did that so well (don’t argue) that I just ended up reading what I put down. What would I do different next time? Probably give myself a note card or something to make sure I end up saying everything that I wanted to. Also, did anyone think the presentation was mind-numbingly boring?
Definitely not boring. I enjoyed it, actually. Sure, next time, don't just read it as you've already noted.
Live and learn. You learned a lesson about power point that some adult presenters still haven't learned. There are a lot of them who still read their presentations word for word. Best, Mr. D
I did a presentation about JD Salinger. Actually, I thought it was pretty easy. The presentation part did not go as well as I had hoped, but finding all the information was very easy. I used Wikipedia, the New York Times obituary of JD Salinger, and another website I seem to have forgotten about. But they all told me the same things. Using those sites I learned a fair amount about JD Salinger, and the books he wrote. The presentation, however, did not go as well as I had hoped. I had lots of things that I had learned that I thought were interesting, but was actually probably useless trivia. Either way, I didn’t put it on the slides so I never got around to saying it. On top of that, I may or may not have been a bit nervous, so I spoke a little fast and mumbled. What can I say, I’m a nervous person. Probably the easiest part was the act of putting the information into a presentation. Except I did that so well (don’t argue) that I just ended up reading what I put down. What would I do different next time? Probably give myself a note card or something to make sure I end up saying everything that I wanted to. Also, did anyone think the presentation was mind-numbingly boring?
I found researching the life of John Steinbeck to be very interesting. It was fairly easy; there were many websites that listed when he was born, where he went to school, as well as some of the books he wrote. However, it was a bit harder to find what he did before he became an author. I had to specifically search for what I wanted to know, such as what sort of work Steinbeck did prior to writing. The actual presentation was also fairly easy; I had a PowerPoint to show along with my notes for speaking. I had gone over my notes a few times so I knew them fairly well. Even though I was familiar with what I wanted to say, I ended up skipping a small piece of information. I told myself it’s because I wrote my notes too small and close together but, I think it was because I was nervous and going slightly fast. If I had to do this again I think that I would have done a bit more research about what Steinbeck’s early life was like, I feel as though I was a bit sparse there in my presentation. I think I also would have talked a bit more about what influenced Steinbeck’s writing. It seemed to me as if what he did and who he met showed up in a lot of his works and I think that that would be a very interesting topic to research: What influenced John Steinbeck’s writing?.
I did a presentation about JD Salinger. Actually, I thought it was pretty easy. The presentation part did not go as well as I had hoped, but finding all the information was very easy. I used Wikipedia, the New York Times obituary of JD Salinger, and another website I seem to have forgotten about. But they all told me the same things. Using those sites I learned a fair amount about JD Salinger, and the books he wrote.
ReplyDeleteThe presentation, however, did not go as well as I had hoped. I had lots of things that I had learned that I thought were interesting, but was actually probably useless trivia. Either way, I didn’t put it on the slides so I never got around to saying it. On top of that, I may or may not have been a bit nervous, so I spoke a little fast and mumbled. What can I say, I’m a nervous person.
Probably the easiest part was the act of putting the information into a presentation. Except I did that so well (don’t argue) that I just ended up reading what I put down. What would I do different next time? Probably give myself a note card or something to make sure I end up saying everything that I wanted to. Also, did anyone think the presentation was mind-numbingly boring?
Definitely not boring. I enjoyed it, actually. Sure, next time, don't just read it as you've already noted.
DeleteLive and learn. You learned a lesson about power point that some adult presenters still haven't learned. There are a lot of them who still read their presentations word for word. Best, Mr. D
I did a presentation about JD Salinger. Actually, I thought it was pretty easy. The presentation part did not go as well as I had hoped, but finding all the information was very easy. I used Wikipedia, the New York Times obituary of JD Salinger, and another website I seem to have forgotten about. But they all told me the same things. Using those sites I learned a fair amount about JD Salinger, and the books he wrote.
ReplyDeleteThe presentation, however, did not go as well as I had hoped. I had lots of things that I had learned that I thought were interesting, but was actually probably useless trivia. Either way, I didn’t put it on the slides so I never got around to saying it. On top of that, I may or may not have been a bit nervous, so I spoke a little fast and mumbled. What can I say, I’m a nervous person.
Probably the easiest part was the act of putting the information into a presentation. Except I did that so well (don’t argue) that I just ended up reading what I put down. What would I do different next time? Probably give myself a note card or something to make sure I end up saying everything that I wanted to. Also, did anyone think the presentation was mind-numbingly boring?
I found researching the life of John Steinbeck to be very interesting. It was fairly easy; there were many websites that listed when he was born, where he went to school, as well as some of the books he wrote. However, it was a bit harder to find what he did before he became an author. I had to specifically search for what I wanted to know, such as what sort of work Steinbeck did prior to writing.
ReplyDeleteThe actual presentation was also fairly easy; I had a PowerPoint to show along with my notes for speaking. I had gone over my notes a few times so I knew them fairly well. Even though I was familiar with what I wanted to say, I ended up skipping a small piece of information. I told myself it’s because I wrote my notes too small and close together but, I think it was because I was nervous and going slightly fast.
If I had to do this again I think that I would have done a bit more research about what Steinbeck’s early life was like, I feel as though I was a bit sparse there in my presentation. I think I also would have talked a bit more about what influenced Steinbeck’s writing. It seemed to me as if what he did and who he met showed up in a lot of his works and I think that that would be a very interesting topic to research: What influenced John Steinbeck’s writing?.